The Best & Worst Skincare Habits
Hi, I’m Monica, a licensed Skin Therapist and mom of 4. I want to look good and feel good and I know most likely, you do too. So I compiled a list of the Best & Worst Skincare Habits to help you out.
The Worst Skincare Habits Are…
- Too much alcohol. This is one of the worst things you can do for your skin! More than a glass, a night or two a week can really jack up your skin. And the bad thing is, it can take 3 days at minimum to recover!
This is what too much alcohol can do to your skin:
1. Hormone disruption from sugar, leading to hormonal imbalance and skin problems.
2. Inflammation. The internal inflammation that alcohol creates makes it way to the surface. This shows up as redness, breakouts and puffiness.
3. Dehydration. Everyone knows too much alcohol and coffee cause a diuretic effect and causes you to loose too much water that affects the look of your skin, therefor making fine lines and wrinkles deeper looking after a night of too many boos.
4. The acid in alcohol can disrupt your gut health and cause a flare up in existing skin conditions such as eczema, causing even more skin problems.
More Items on the Worst List:
- Keeping your house too hot. If you are going to keep it warm, you better have a humidifier running non stop to add moisture back into the air in the cooler months.
- Not drinking enough water. This one is so obvious, but so often overlooked. Your body and skin has to be hydrated to work properly and be healthy.
- Eating too much fast food or take out. Salt heavy foods really parch you and your skin. Opt for steamed un-salted food and lightly salt it yourself if you have to get take out.
- Too little sleep. We all know this, but generally 7-8 hours is what we need to thrive. Your skin, along with the rest of you, suffers if you are not getting enough sleep.
- SKIPPING your nighttime skin routine! This is probably the cardinal skin sin! Just don’t do it. Always, always, always wash your face. No excuses. I have four kids and I do it. I have never went to bed with makeup on. You have to be faithful in your regimen if you want healthy beautiful skin. You just do.
- Getting Sunburned. If you want more info on how to protect your skin and really learn how and why to use sunblock, check this out Sunscreen info you need to know, from an Esthetician.
Don’t get discouraged, I’m gonna tell you what you can do improve your skin!
Healthy skin habits to make you glow!
- Sticking to your skin care routine. Be faithful to it every morning and every night. Not sure how to properly cleanse your skin? Check out this blog: Cleansing Basics
- Eating your veggies. Your mom told you this for good reason. Proper nutrition allows for good digestion, sleep and healthier skin.
- Drinking water and herbal teas. Drinking water can be hard to remember. I know for me personally, it’s not the actual drinking of the water that is the problem, it’s remembering to drink the water. I think this water bottle so is neat: HydraCoach Plus Water Bottle with Real-Time Hydration Monitoring Display Intelligent Water Bottle Designed to Track and Remind You to Drink More Water How cool is that?!?!
- Use sunblock when you’ll be in direct sunlight more than 30 minutes between 11-4. Check out more sunblock tips here.
More good habits:
- Eating fish or taking a fish oil supplement. My kids and I both like the liquid fish oil supplement we take take every evening, Lemon Creme Fish Oil . It tastes like lemon custard. It’s surprisingly yummy. They won’t let me forget to give it to them, they like it so much! Plus it’s good for brain and heart health too.
- Running your humidifier. Yep, you got to get one! This Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier looks really cool and is on my wish list.
- DIY weekly facials
- Professional facials every 3 months at the least. It’s actually ideal to have a facial every 4 to 6 weeks. Facials make a huge and often immediate improvement in the health and beauty of your complexion. Plus they are relaxing too.
So there you have it. This is my list of Best & Worst Skincare Habits! I’d love to hear any you would add in the comments below!
What makes me a skin care expert?
11 years as a licensed Skin Therapist (Esthetician).
Annual continuing education and licensing renewal with my state’s Department of Cosmetic Arts keeps me up to date.
This is a subject I study on a regular basis. All information is a collection of my licensing education, skin journals and articles I have read, as well as continuing education hours. I am passionate about helping people have healthy skin that they are confident in.
I am not a doctor and I do not diagnose or treat illness.
Want to know how you can support my blog?
- Visit my website and use one of my links to go to Amazon.com when shopping.
- Share this blog with your friends and on social media.
- Comment on the blogpost themselves with your feedback and encouragement!
- Read other blogs
Here are some other blogs you may enjoy!
Keeping it real, as an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission when you make a purchase using links like the one below. This is at no extra cost to you. Thanks for reading and using my links when you shop Amazon!